To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Monday, November 06, 2006 12:55 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 1979 240D Time Chain Stretch

I'll bite, what's the harm in turning the engine in the wrong direction...

Thanks,

Alan Clarke

85 300 Turbo

LarryT wrote:
Hi Tom,
    As the engine rotates - and it must *only* be turned in the normal
direction of travel, BTW - you'll see the cam lobes turn and alternately
open/close the valves. When both of the high parts of the cam over #1 are
pointing more or less up, it'll be on TDC - but the scale on the crank is
the final authority. Once close, you should be looking to get the mark on
the cam aligned with the notch in the cam tower closest to the radiator.
But, even if you miss the spot by just a little don't be tempted to turn the
engine backwards to the mark - just crank the engine over again and watch
the cam until the mark is close.  It can be frustrating as often the
compression will not allow the engine to stop at the proper point. Just be
patient.

    Once you've done it once it will seem very easy.

    Good luck -