My dad used to raise and show Yorkie's, which are a toy breed. That's  fine.
Companionship is a "job" for dogs too. (e.g. people with major  heart surgery
who are dog owners have MUCH longer survival rates than  non-owners, pet
therapy for people terminally ill or in nursing homes,  etc...or people who are
just lonely), BUT I must say that I have the  most admiration for all the true
working breeds - herding dogs,  retreivers (which make better service dogs than
German Shepherds  becuase their main job is to retrieve stuff for handicapped
people all  day long - although GSD's do a good job, labs are just better).
Alot of  seeing eye dogs are labs, but most GSDs - first ones were trained in
Germany for all the German soldiers blinded by gas attacks in WWII.  There are
hearing ear dogs too for the deaf.

  Anyway, just wanted to agree that I think it is absolutely amazing what
working dogs can do. I read that SAR (Search & Rescue) dogs can  smell
decomposing bodies under water, so they are often taken out in  little boats by
the police/ SAR handlers. I never cease to be amazed by  what dogs can do. And
it does seem a bit paradoxical that dogs, who  serve mankind so well, are
"canina non grata" almost everywhere...but I  think that probably has more to
do with irresponsible owners than with  dogs themselves. There are
establishments that allow Anke and I in and  THAT is where I shop, given a
choice. My Indy keeps dog treats in his  desk! His second in command has had
GSDs their whole lives.

  Well, back to Benzes.

  Chris

kevin kraly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  It's paradoxical how dogs are given
such responsibility (for example, their
scent identification of a crime suspect being admissible in court, or their
role in locating disaster victims) yet in other areas of society it's "no
pets allowed!"

Very interesting, brian!  There are many times I would have preferred a
dog's behavior to a human, and cleanliness is much the same.  Regarding the
discussion of Dobermans and GSD's having class, my black Lab guide dog Joel
would like to interject  that Labs are classy too!

Kevin in Hillsboro Oregon
1983 300SD 284K miles, Ursula, pets allowed, of course!

Christopher McCann, Squier Park, Kansas City, Missouri
-2006 GSD, "Anke"
-1985 300SD, 217K, "Wulf"
-1982 300Dt, 117K, "little blue klatter box"
-1971 Case 222 Hydrive, "One Banger"