From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Donald Snook
Sent: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 10:25 AM
To: Mercedes@okiebenz.com
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Vergasser vs. Diesel, was 87 TD for sale

Trampas wrote:

"My wife is now saying she wants a Honda mini-van as that the Mercedes
are not reliable cars, note the 420SEL has been towed at least 10 times
in last 5 years. I am very picky about the cars, in that I do all the
repairs and will spare no expense to make it perfect, just ask Rusty.
That being said, the quality of the 420SEL has made me see that a Honda
might be the best thing. Currently the 560SEL which we have had for year
and half is starting to shape up as a problem car, I have done
everything under the sun to get the idle smooth and it still has miss
and low idle. I am starting to think that the fuel distributor is
leaking causing the problems."

If you want a 126 gasser (that is more reliable than your 420 and 560),
maybe you should get a 300SEL.  The engine is a little underpowered, but
very reliable (once you get the valve seal problem fixed).   I really
like my car (although I wish it was more powerful). If getting a more
powerful 126 means trading power for reliability, then I will stick with
underpowered.

This is funny that this is coming up now because I just got back from a
one day 400 mile speed run yesterday.  I had to drive 200 miles to a
hearing and turn around and drive straight back.  The 126 (even with the
3.0 6 cylinder) is such a great highway car.  I left a little late to
arrive on time and I was really pushing it on the interstate.  I almost
always drive 80 mph on the interstate, but I was a little behind and I
had to drive about 90 for nearly two hours minutes.  Didn't phase that
car at all.

I got this car one year ago this month.  In that time, I have put 14,000
miles on it. The only problems I have had was the (really bad design)
hose from the thermostat to the block ($230) and I need to replace the
monovalve.  Other than that, it has been perfect.  I get 20-21 mpg on
the highway (although yesterday I bet it was more like 17 at 90mph.)

Donald H. Snook

1990 300SEL 134K