LarryT wrote:
> And to make one more stretch of the assumption - and say *all* gassers are
> better than *all* diesels - and if this change in the longevity &
> maintanence of gas and diesel engines is industry wide, will we see big 18
> wheelers changing to big gas engines?  Or will they be staying with diesels
> for the torque to pull heavy trailers?

You can't really draw a comparison between the high-speed diesels in
cars and the medium-speed diesels in heavy trucks.  They're totally
different animals.

Torque isn't really the issue -- you can make any torque value you want
with proper gearing.  Trucks use medium-speed diesel engines because
they offer efficiency that isn't found in other practical powerplants.
If something else was cheaper to run you can bet they'd switch.

Ships use low-speed diesels for the same reason.  The figures for the
low-speed, two-stroke diesels used on container ships are pretty amazing
-- some can reach 50% thermal efficiency.