Yes, I would remind that breeds certainly do vary within a breed. The
poorer, or the less-focused the breeding program, the more the variance. I
include in the category of less-focused those that breed for pets and not
for the particular purpose for which the breed was developed. Yes, there are
breeds that were developed for no purpose other than to be a pet, and it is
harder to find actual proof of the puppy's quality in these cases.

As Chris said, there are puppy tests that judge temperament, though I've
found a lot of breeders get offended if you offer to administer them. Most
breeders that think highly of their program will tell you what's up rather
than have you tell them anything. Most of the time, at least in the case of
working kennels, the breeder will profile you and decide which pup is the
best match for you.

Research and attend dog shows or performance events pertaining to the breed
you are interested in. People are usually more than happy to tell you the
good and the bad about the breed unless they are getting ready for their
ring time. However, they are much less willing to speak of who is a good or
bad breeder. Meeting the dam and sire are pretty useful, though certainly no
guarantee.

Brian

Chris wrote:
breeds certainly have unique temperments/personalities and qualities,  but
temperment also varies widely within each breed.