I do think that adopting a shelter dog is a wonderful thing to do. 3-4  million
dogs are euthanized in the US every year, which is a terrible  shame. However,
it is NOT the only ethical way to acquire a dog.  Serious breeders, who are not
in it for money, but to continually  improve the breed are a great benefit to
dogdom and to society. Many  dogs are working dogs - they have jobs. If
everyone bought from  shelters and stopped buying purebred dogs, these breeds
would be gone.  Herding dogs for farmers, flock protection dogs for ranchers,
hunting  dogs for all types of hunting, German Shepherds alone are suited to
SOOOO many useful tasks: seeing eye dogs, police work, seizure  detection,
blood sugar "reminder" dogs for diabetics (they smell your  sugar level and
poke your tummy when you need to eat)....many more  example could be given.
Critter Control in Kansas City uses terriers  for their original purpose -
killing rats in your house! The various  qualities of working
 breeds must be retained, LITERALLY for the good of  society. It's not by
accident that dogs were domesticated over 7,000  years ago and have been an
important part of society since. They are  not just fluffy moving
decorations/toys.

  It used to be that dogs were primarily to do a job. Now most are  companions
(which is a job too, but different). If you want a companion  dog, yeah,
seriously check out the local shelter. But to say this is  the only ethical way
to get a dog is rediculous. I think your concern  is much better channelled
into encouraging people who have NO BUSINESS  breeding dogs to have theirs
neutered and spayed.

  Most dogs end up in shelters because of obedience problems...99% of the  time
it's the owners fault. In Kansas City, we have a great and  inexpensive dog
obedience school whose mission is to train owners so  that they have well
behaved dogs that do not end up in shelters.

  Chris

andrew strasfogel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  There is only one ethical way to
choose a dog breed:  adopt your pet from
the local humane society shelter!  There are a plethora of sizes, breeds and
temperaments to choose from, and the modest adoption fee goes to a good
cause.  That's where we found Woby, a Tibetan Terrier who had the highest
bark to size ratio of any dog in existence to go with his woebegone
expression.

On 2/7/07, Zoltan Finks  wrote:

> Yes, I would remind that breeds certainly do vary within a breed. The
> poorer, or the less-focused the breeding program, the more the variance. I
> include in the category of less-focused those that breed for pets and not
> for the particular purpose for which the breed was developed. Yes, there
> are
> breeds that were developed for no purpose other than to be a pet, and it
> is
> harder to find actual proof of the puppy's quality in these cases.
>
> As Chris said, there are puppy tests that judge temperament, though I've
> found a lot of breeders get offended if you offer to administer them. Most
> breeders that think highly of their program will tell you what's up rather
> than have you tell them anything. Most of the time, at least in the case
> of
> working kennels, the breeder will profile you and decide which pup is the
> best match for you.
>
> Research and attend dog shows or performance events pertaining to the
> breed
> you are interested in. People are usually more than happy to tell you the
> good and the bad about the breed unless they are getting ready for their
> ring time. However, they are much less willing to speak of who is a good
> or
> bad breeder. Meeting the dam and sire are pretty useful, though certainly
> no
> guarantee.
>
> Brian
>

> Chris wrote:
> breeds certainly have unique temperments/personalities and qualities,  but
> temperment also varies widely within each breed.

always stay connected to friends.
From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Wed Feb 07 16:06:56 2007