John Freer wrote:

> Around here, (CA) you also need to plan to spend about 700 bucks for
> permits, power Co approved switches, etc if you plan to tie your
> generator directly into the household panel.

What I do:
Switch the main breaker off, along with the major load breakers.
Plug a 25 year old Coleman/Briggs&Stratton into the dryer outlet
(run the cord in through the dryer vent) Switch on the freezers,
the fridge, and the well pump, pausing a bit between breakers.
I never claimed it was legal, but it is safe.

What we do at my parent's house:
Generac 7kw propane powered backup system. Paid the propane company
to do the gas hookup, we did the electric. Was on sale back in April
for $1500 at Home Depot. Came with transfer switch, subpanel and
cables. County probably requires a permit, but who cares.

Mitch.