From: "archer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>> Did you check to see if the windings might be shorted to ground?

>> It looks like the center of the field winding might be, each
>> slip ring measures in the 5-9 ohm range to frame ground.
>> I'm guessing that's not good?
>> -- Jim

> How close are the ohm readings?  Could the winding be center tapped to
> ground or someplace else?  (Just guessing.)
> Gerry
--------------------------------------
If there is a short to ground, have you thought about replacing the
windings?  In the past, if you could get the wedges/insulators out of the
shorted stator or rotor windings and take them to a motor shop, they would
wind new ones for you for a reasonable price.

You might also wind your own if the wire is available.  Years ago I knew a
guy who would take his shorted windings down to a fishermans store and
measure their length on one of those jigs they use to measure fishline.
Then he'd use the same jig to reel off the same length of new wire.  He'd
take it home and wind it on a jig he would run on low speed in his drill
press.  He'd put it back in the stator or rotor with the same
wedges/insulators.  Claimed the motors ran well.
Gerry