>> It looks like the center of the field winding might be, each
>> slip ring measures in the 5-9 ohm range to frame ground.
>> I'm guessing that's not good?
> How close are the ohm readings?  Could the winding be center tapped to
> ground or someplace else?  (Just guessing.)

It's _possible_, but I fail to see the purpose behind it.
Ground is the only possible place for the center tap,
there is no third slip ring or other way to get at it.

If it's a single short it might even be harmless, but if
more than one wire is shorted there could be eddy currents
circulating in the loop thus formed that would cause
overheating or other problems.  There would also be a
proportional reduction in field strength, depending on
how many turns were shorted out.

I'm sure rewinding the rotor is _possible_, but I'm not
sure I want to go there!  There's no guarantee that the
(complex) regulator works, either.

-- Jim