I've done that to a Nissan Diesel and it worked very well. From memory I
wired it into the glow plug controller so I wouldn't need a heavy wire
or switch.
However my problem was that the controller was not fully cycling and
would switch off half way into the glow period.
If you are going the direct route use a relay, similar to those used to
switch on/off spotlights.

Hendrik
only two Diesels now and neither use glowplugs