It seems than at Mon, 10 Dec 2007 19:14:27 -0600, Wonko wrote:

> They were "ridded-of" a couple of years ago.    :-)
>
> Nice pencil-style glow plugs.

Good!

Now, maybe I missed something in one of the posts...

Did you change anything besides the plugs? I believe the
parallel plugs draw more current. At least I recall that my '78
had a 50A fuse and all the newer ones have an 80A.

But none the less, you have a relay. But (correct me if I'm
wrong) you didn't install the full conversion kit.

If you have a relay, I would try a "hot wire" to trigger the
relay to see if that works. If so, then you know the problem
with the factory system is before the relay. If it acts the
same, then it must be the relay or later.

Since I recall you saying it a relatively new relay, my guess is
it's "upstream" somewhere.

When I converted from series to parallel, I put in my own relay.
I don't recall why. I do remember that the motivation for the
conversion was to get the better starting of the parallel plugs.
I happen to have a relay from a late '90s Ford van that was
originally used to tie the main and the aux battery together
while the engine was running. This means that it is rated for
continuous duty, not some unknow time that the starter relays
are rated for.

Anyway, I triggered mine with a separate push button switch on
the dash. There is no help from a light for how long I should
keep the glow on, but I can count. *smile* I never do trust the
lights anyway.

So, if you wire a light in parallel with the glow plugs so you
know if they are getting power, and you rig a switch to manually
trigger the relay, you should be able to at least track down
_where_ your problem is.

Me, I liked the pushbutton glow so much that I've thought about
doing to my other cars!

--             Philip, with lots of W123s, but only one pre-1980.