I stopped last summer in to a local trans shop to ask what the charge
would be to replace a seal.  This is a national chain, owned by part
of the local JF cult church that has no accounting of the finances to
its members, but all the "elders" are nouveau riche, popping up
apartment buildings and commercial buildings like mushrooms in a hot
wet spring.

Anyhow, they started this song about they could not replace just one
seal and how if I left the car they could do an estimate etc....  So
I caught the drift and walked out while I still owned my car.

I like how Hans said the jerk started talking as if talking to a
blonde.  This guy was starting the same kind of bluff.

It is not just local fly by night operators you need to be aware
of.  Beware the national franchise too.  In fact a family owned local
shop that has been there for years is more likely (IMHO) to be
straight than a franchise.

Any good trans shop should be able to tell you to the penny the cost
of any job.

When we lived in Hawaii, I took the escort (Diesel) into Snears to
get the oil changed because I could not figger out how to get rid of
the used oil at the time.  This one guy comes out of the shop looking
like he was going to have to pay for destroying an aircraft carrier..
all serious... and says he has bad news, and I need to come with him
into the shop...  (that was my first clue.  Snears was always real
snitty about not setting foot in the shop)  He shows me the rear
shocks where he had obviously just squirted oil from a can on them
and said my shocks were leaking and if I didn't let him replace them
I was surely going to die.. etc.  I said today is a good day to die,
and I am NOT paying for new shocks, and please put my car down so I can leave.

PS:  the same shocks were still on the car and working just fine
years later when I sold the car.  They still did have oil running
down the outside, caked in dirt. (still from the squirtcan)

Loren Faeth