Well dealers do scam-recall the 124 transmission story of fellow RI lister
John Peterson a couple years ago with one of the MB dealers here-that scam
bordered on criminal and sounds a lot like what we are talking about here.
Sorry to drop that.  I actually go to a dealer in New London CT because this
unnamed dealer here in RI has a bad reputation for both MB and other make
service scams-a couple I know of got to the lawyer stage for lying about
parts, not replacing etc.
FWIW
Dwight

Dwight E. Giles, Jr.
1978 240D 4 speed. 215K miles.
1979 240D- auto -250K + miles (FOR SALE)
1990 300D 2.5t 150K miles
Wickford, RI

Interestingly I've never been scamemd by a dealer, but I generally
only go there if its a warranty repair.  They've certainly tried to
sell me services I don't want, but that's about it.  They are
expensive, though -- maybe they don't need to scam.

Allan
--
1983 300D
1966 230