"Dwight E. Giles, Jr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Well dealers do scam-recall the 124 transmission story of fellow RI
> lister John Peterson a couple years ago with one of the MB dealers
> here-that scam bordered on criminal and sounds a lot like what we
> are talking about here.  Sorry to drop that.  I actually go to a
> dealer in New London CT because this unnamed dealer here in RI has a
> bad reputation for both MB and other make service scams-a couple I
> know of got to the lawyer stage for lying about parts, not replacing
> etc.

Oh yeah, I am sure there are dishonest dealer shops, no question.  I
do think there is something to the argument that they have a little
more to lose if they get a bad reputation -- they still want to sell
new cars on the other side of the lot.

All boils down to doing research before you get the work started.  Get
references.  Get second opionions if you have any doubt about the
diagnosis.  Especially don't assume that the local transmission chain
franchise is familiar with MB transmissions.

Allan
--
1983 300D
1966 230