The dramas never stop, got the engine and box back in the car and after
adjusting the control pressure that seems all good. There was a
scrapping noise after reinstalling the rear wheel carrier but that was a
simple adjustment with a hammer on the dust shield.
However there is still a clunking noise coming from the left front
wheel. I have jacked the front up and had a look to see if I could
determine the noise of the clunk, which only happens when going over
some bumps. The only thing I could find was the ball joint had up down
movement of about 5mm (the right one only has about 2mm) and I am
thinking if that is bouncing it could cause a clunking noise.
Anyone have any input? Is there supposed to be up/down movement?
Speaking to my Mum, she reckons that clunk has been there for years.
The ball joint seals are still intact and there is no groaning when
turning the wheel or shuddering (like the ball joint is grabbing and
releasing).

As always thanks for any and all replies.

Hendrik
who is quite pleased with himself that the engine fired up first go