On Tue, Oct 12, 1999 at 04:15:11PM -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Well, as completion time gets longer and longer, it becomes more likely
>that a user will give up in disgust.  This could be after several months
>of work is already complete.

That's part the reason why searching for >10,000,000 digits is not yet
default.

>How about an option when you hit "QUIT GIMPS" to upload your P and Q
>files to Primenet, so someone can at least finish the job?

There are two problems with this approach. First, entropia.com will need
some HD space to hold these files (they are big...). Second, they will
also need bandwidth to receive all those big (and not very compressible)
files. I think the discussion has been up before, and Scott (I think)
pointed out that extremely few exponents were quit far out in the testing
phase.

So, I don't think it's worth it (I think that's the conclusion we reached
last time, too). We might save a few P90 CPU-years, but it would mean
lots of extra code, and less bandwidth and server space available. We
shouldn't clutter up the Internet _too_ much :-)

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://members.xoom.com/sneeze/