On 17/5/00 5:36 am, Richard Gaskin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm working on a cross-platform app in which we need to store the media
> separate from our stack files.  There will likely be one standalone and
> several separate stack files which will run under it.
>
> Because this is a cross-platform app, it would seem we cannot use full paths
> to the files, since Mac uses the volume name to specify the root and Win32
> uses the drive label ("D", "E", etc.).
>
> So this leads me to a couple questions:
>
> 1. Why does the MC graphics importer use full paths, since we know in
> advance those will not work in a shipping app except in the unlikely
> occurrence that the drive letter, volume name, and all elements of the path
> are exactly the same?  Have I missed something here?
>
> 2. Wen using a relative path, it seems dependend on the current directory,
> rather than the location of the stackfile the media is referenced in.  Or is
> the path always fixed relative to the MC app/standalone?

You need to set the directory property of the stack to on preOpenStack to
match its fileName.  I think there is a good argument for making relative
paths (images, players) work like stackFiles has just been changed to work:
i.e. relative to the fileName rather than the current directory?  Scott?

Regards,

Kevin

> --
> Richard Gaskin
> Fourth World
> Multimedia Design and Development for Mac, Windows, UNIX, and the Web
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]                 http://www.FourthWorld.com
> Tel: 323-225-3717           ICQ#60248349            Fax: 323-225-0716

Kevin Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <http://www.xworlds.com/>
Cross Worlds Computing, MetaCard Distributors, Custom Development.
Tel: +44 (0)131 672 2909.  Fax: +44 (0)1639 830 707.