On Wed, 17 May 2000, Kevin Miller wrote:

> On 17/5/00 5:41 pm, Scott Raney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >> You need to set the directory property of the stack to on preOpenStack to
> >> match its fileName.  I think there is a good argument for making relative
> >> paths (images, players) work like stackFiles has just been changed to work:
> >> i.e. relative to the fileName rather than the current directory?  Scott?
> >
> > We considered this, but rejected it because I've seen many stacks that
> > change the current directory to select different sets of images or
> > movies (e.g., to support multiple languages), something that wouldn't
> > work if you hard-wired the image/player paths to be relative to the
> > stack path.  This isn't an issue with stackFiles AFAIK, probably
> > because using separate *stacks* for the different languages isn't a
> > good design.  Any other suggestions?
>
> I get it.  I do have another suggestion: search the directory first as is
> done now.  If (and only if) that results in file not found, search relative
> to the current stack?

Sounds kind of unreliable to me.  Sure it may be unlikely, but what if
the current directory happens to have a file of the same name as some
media file you're trying to access in the folder where your stack is?
You might get the wrong image displayed, or worse, it would display
the right image in your development environment and then fail later on
in the distributed version because that image really *isn't* in the
folder with the stack like you thought it was...
  Regards,
    Scott