On Wed, 17 May 2000, Kevin Miller wrote:

> On 17/5/00 5:36 am, Richard Gaskin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I'm working on a cross-platform app in which we need to store the media
> > separate from our stack files.  There will likely be one standalone and
> > several separate stack files which will run under it.
> >
> > Because this is a cross-platform app, it would seem we cannot use full paths
> > to the files, since Mac uses the volume name to specify the root and Win32
> > uses the drive label ("D", "E", etc.).
> >
> > So this leads me to a couple questions:
> >
> > 1. Why does the MC graphics importer use full paths, since we know in
> > advance those will not work in a shipping app except in the unlikely
> > occurrence that the drive letter, volume name, and all elements of the path
> > are exactly the same?  Have I missed something here?
> >
> > 2. Wen using a relative path, it seems dependend on the current directory,
> > rather than the location of the stackfile the media is referenced in.  Or is
> > the path always fixed relative to the MC app/standalone?
>
> You need to set the directory property of the stack to on preOpenStack to
> match its fileName.  I think there is a good argument for making relative
> paths (images, players) work like stackFiles has just been changed to work:
> i.e. relative to the fileName rather than the current directory?  Scott?

We considered this, but rejected it because I've seen many stacks that
change the current directory to select different sets of images or
movies (e.g., to support multiple languages), something that wouldn't
work if you hard-wired the image/player paths to be relative to the
stack path.  This isn't an issue with stackFiles AFAIK, probably
because using separate *stacks* for the different languages isn't a
good design.  Any other suggestions?
  Regards,
    Scott