J Moore wrote:
I want to set up an OBSD box as a file server for some Windoze boxes. I think a RAID 1 setup will provide sufficient reliability - and it appears to be the cheapest way to go. I don't desire to become an expert on RAID, I don't want to spend a lot of money, and I'm confused by what I've read on the subject. Here's how I'd like it to work:

One of the disks craps out... an alarm goes off... I walk in with a new drive, and replace the failed one (hot-swap?)... beeping stops... no data is lost, system "heals" itself by taking care of the new drive... years pass, and life is good.

Is this feasible - can I remain ignorant of the RAID details and jargon, and still benefit from it?

Ignorance often leads to a very expensive education.

Are you certain that archival backups are not necessary?

While a properly designed RAID solution will (may) protect
users from loss of data due to h/w failures, it will do
nothing to protect them from themselves.  Furthermore,
off-site backups are needed to recover from catastrophic
events, like fire, flood, hurricanes, earthquakes, etc ...

I don't know how important the data is, but as the old
aphorism goes,

        "If its important, it's backed up."

Regards,
Ray