On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 3:06 PM, Marcos Ariel Laufer
<mar...@ipversion4.com> wrote:

> What newer smartphones do you recommend for using also as a tool for
> managing OpenBSD servers (maybe windogs too) ? What experiences had you had
> with smartphones and OpenBSD managing?

Your experience really depends on a few things: the phone network's
bandwidth, CPU speed, and the ability to read the returned output
without strain. Everything else is just extras and features.

Bandwidth and lag can make your session unusable. Almost all modern
smartphones have WiFi capability built in, which helps reduce your
data rate during the SSH session, and decreases lag. That throughput
will also make a big difference in receiving data from the server. In
my experience if there's any amount of retransmission happening due to
packet loss, the clients hang up abruptly. So, ideally, the client
will emulate a modern terminal well enough to use tmux or screen
really well.

Most modern phones have more than enough CPU power to handle SSH. The
problem is that few have the ability to offload the crypto from the
CPU, and so SSH chews up already precious battery time.

To help offset typing lag some clients permit you to queue a longer
string to send to the session. The advantage of this is that fewer
packets are sent, and the block of data can be sent out as (hopefully)
a single chunk. I believe some Android Market clients support this
feature, and I know at least one SSH client on blackberry has it, and
at least two of the clients on iOS (iPhone/iPad) have the ability to
assign shortcuts.

Phone form-factor is a major issue you should consider. I know a few
people who regularly use their phones for SSH, and are unwilling to up
a physical keyboard. Slider and flip configurations permit you to use
most of the screen real estate for your session, but the overall
market is moving toward the touchscreen candybar configuration.
Because of this, the SSH client has to be able to either 'shadow' the
keyboard, allowing you to look through it, or permit you to hide the
keyboard and read scrollback easily.

As far as what's superior? None of them are really any better than the
others. What works for you will matter more. Most modern smartphones
are roughly the same, just with a different level of hype or features
people want.*

- jb

* although, I'll be damned if I could find a GSM/LTE, CDMA and wifi
capable Android phone with a physical keyboard that didn't utterly
suck. I settled on an iPhone 4s, with a decent SSH client.