On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 10:32:47PM +0800, Tito Mari Francis Escaño wrote:
> I read the man page on startx, I tried to follow the example of
> /etc/X11/init/xinitrc where it ran "fcwm || xterm" to run xterm after the
> default WM started, by creating an <home dir>/.xinitrc with "wmaker ||
> GWorkspace" but it doesn't seem to work.

Of course it won't, you misunderstood what
prog1 || prog2
does.

It tries to run prog1, and *if that fails* then it runs prog2.
Thus, in fcwm || xterm, the goal is to give you an xterm if the startup
of fcwm fails (for instance, if your config file for the window manager
is bogus).

Among the various things sebastia wrote, he did:
prog1 &
prog2

which is a possible shell-construct to start a prog1 in the background and
then start prog2 as well.

In the context of xinitrc, note that when the script exits, then X windows
stops, so you have to write things in the correct order (e.g., the background
program has no effect on when xwindows exits)