I apologize if my concerns turn out to be noise here.
As I said in my previous mails, WindowMaker with GWorkspace works,
following your advise, with modifications made on .xinitrc instead.
Will email GNUstep-specific list to air my concerns there.
Thanks again for the pointers and kudos for the work :)