Hello,

I have a strange issue while trying to reconfigure my Soekris after the CompactFlash died. Here the picture. I have a dedicated FreeBSD server linked with my Soekris acting as my home gateway(which was running OpenBSD 4.0, and now running OpenBSD 5.5).

The both machines talked to each other through an OpenVPN tunnel with point-to-point tun interfaces. This part is working smoothly.

FreeBSD server ------- internet ------- OpenBSD Soekris ------ home
           tun4                          tun0                 network
         10.8.0.6                      10.8.0.5
                \----------------------/

Using this tunnel, two OpenOSPF daemons are running. The one on the OpenBSD server is receiving the OSPF HELLO from the FreeBSD server but the FreeBSD server doesn't receive the HELLO from the openBSD server.

So, where are the OpenBSD HELLO packets? I don't know. A tcpdump on the FreeBSD's tun interface shows nothing is received. A tcpdump on the OpenBSD tun interface shows the packet seems to be sent. Using ktrace/kdump on the OpenVPN daemon on the OpenBSD server, it seems the daemon does nothing to send the HELLO packet, like it's not aware it has to send these packets.

----------- OpenBSD server ----------             -- Freebsd Box --
OpenOSPF -- tun0  -- OpenVPN -- ext_if -- internet -- ext_if -- tun4
   -          -         -                                         -
 packet    tcpdump   nothing                                   nothing
  sent     shows it   here!!                                   received

If I do a ping -I 10.8.0.6 224.0.0.5 from the FreeBSD server, I can see the packet on the OpenBSD tun interface. If I do a ping -I 10.8.0.5 224.0.0.5 from the OpenBSD server, packets seems lost at the same point (between tun0 and OpenVPN).

I did the test with pf disabled on both server. I tried to remove the 224/4 and ::224.0.0.0/100 routes from the OpenBSD routing table. I also tried to destroy the tun interfaces and restart the daemons.

Here some information about the OpenBSD server:
- it's a brand new OpenBSD 5.5
OpenBSD vauban.foo.bar 5.5 GENERIC#276 i386
- pf was disabled on both side
- The openVPN is the following:
OpenVPN 2.3.2 i386-unknown-openbsd5.5 [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [eurephia] [MH] [IPv6] built on Mar 5 2014

-The ifconfig output of the both tun ifs:
OpenBSD
tun0: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        priority: 0
        groups: tun
        status: active
        inet6 fe80::200:24ff:fecc:7c74%tun0 ->  prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x9
        inet 10.8.0.5 --> 10.8.0.6 netmask 0xffffffff
FreeBSD
tun4: flags=8151<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,PROMISC,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=80000<LINKSTATE>
        inet6 fe80::e23f:49ff:fee6:332d%tun4 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x12
        inet 10.8.0.6 --> 10.8.0.5 netmask 0xffffffff
        nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUD,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
        Opened by PID 94692

The ospf configuration:
**OpenBSD**
router-id 192.168.0.3

stub router no
fib-update yes
no redistribute default
no redistribute <my ISP subnet>
redistribute connected

area 0.0.0.0 {
        interface tun0
        interface lo1 { passive }
}

**FreeBSD**
router-id 192.168.0.1

stub router no
fib-update yes
no redistribute default
no redistribute <my ISP subnet>
redistribute connected

area 0.0.0.0 {
        interface tun0
        interface tun1
        interface tun2
        interface tun3
        interface tun4
        interface lo1 { passive }
}

So if you can help me to find these missings multicast HELLO, it would be great :-)

Thanks

--
Nicolas