cho...@jtan.com writes:
> "Theo de Raadt" writes:
> > > Is there, by chance, such a breakdown available for these already?
> >

> > No.  We did our best.
>
> To be fair, these statements are potentially contradictory. If you
> (plural) only "did your best" (and what more could have been done?)
> then it is at least in *theory* possible that some mis-licensed piece
> of code slipped through.
>
> In fact I expect this didn't happen, but regardless ...

Of course it's possible. There's no contradiction in saying so.

We also do our best to write bug-free software.
You might be shocked to hear that there are still bugs in OpenBSD.

I suspect that OpenBSD is stricter than the vast majority of comparable
free software projects. OpenBSD has a demonstrated history and culture
of removing or rewriting nonfree code. I personally have confidence both
that we have removed all nonfree code, or very close to it, and that we
haven't introduced more.

But providing a *guarantee* is a tall order, and certainly not one I'm
willing to fulfill.

If the chance of a license error slipping through is unacceptable to
someone like Kent, due to his choice of customer or some other reason,
he needs to audit the source himself until he's confident. Why should
he, or his customer, trust what we *say*? That's what the code is for.

If no person ever audited the source of the software they use, that
would be a sad state of affairs.