Hi Kent,

Kent Watsen wrote on Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 11:11:40PM +0000:

> I'm throwing together a quick proof-of-concept thingy to give to a
> customer and thought it might be fun to use OpenBSD as the OS for the
> VM image.  Unfortunately, the not so fun part of it is that I'm
> required to get permission to use/distribute this open source software,

I assume that with "this" you mean "OpenBSD".  In this case, as others
have explained, everybody already has that permission.

> which entails needing to identify all the internal software components
> and licenses used.

Just curious - why do you think that is required?  In general, if all
parts of a compilation allow redistribution, then by definition you have
the right to redistribute the compilation, and i know of no obligation
to provide a list of licences with the redistribution, at least not if
access to the complete source code (containing all the licences) is
readily available, which it is in this case.

That said, i have seen people povide such lists in the past, and i did
provide such lists in the past for projects i'm maintaining, for
example

  http://mandoc.bsd.lv/LICENSE

which is also a (very small) part of OpenBSD.  The reason for doing
so is that it can sometimes clarify the situation and it is a nice
way to give credit for a project of limited size, but there is no
obligation to provide something like that that i'm aware of, and it
is hardly practical for a large project like OpenBSD because setting
up and maintaining the list would consume unreasonable time and the
list would be so long that it would not be worthwhile for anybody to
try and read it.

[...]
> bsd, bsd.rd, bsd.mp, base62, etc62, and man62.
> Is there, by chance, such a breakdown available for these already?

No, and the source tree is not structured in the same way as the
installation sets.

> Since OpenBSD is distributed in binary form, is there a copyright
> attributions listing somewhere to satisfy the "must reproduce the
> above copyright" clause, or do you just point to the also-distributed
> source for all that?

Exactly, the latter, the licenses are published in the source tree,
which is readily available to everybody.

> For the userland, first, is there an easy way to isolate the sub-parts
> of src.tar.gz that contribute to base62, etc62, and man62?

No.

> Next, is there an easy way to identify the unique packages/projects
> that are included?

No.

In contrast to many Linux distributions, which split even the core
of the userland into small packages taken from various third-party
sources, OpenBSD is developed as an integral whole, and there is no
such concept as "packages contained in the base system".  As far as
portable packages of software exist that are also part of OpenBSD,
these portable packages are assembled as collections of files taken
from various parts of the OpenBSD tree, but the OpenBSD tree is *not*
constructed as a union of independent packages.  For example, portable
mandoc contains files from /usr/src/usr.bin/mandoc and /usr/src/share,
but OpenBSD does not contain all files contained in portable mandoc.

The remaining questions were already answered by others.

Yours,
  Ingo