On Tue, Feb 05, 2019 at 07:23:59AM +0200, Jyri Hovila [Turvamies.fi] wrote:
> I must ask though: is it really so difficult to at least
> try and help people out, instead of lashing them?

As the OP I found the replies to my post helpful. I made
a mistake (missed out the release tag on the cvs command
when trying to update to -stable) and the replies immediately
alerted me to the problem.

> Then again: using RELEASE is a huge pain from the
> perspective of a server administrator with many [often
> virtual] hosts to maintain. The pain is so big that it
> actually drove me away from using OpenBSD for almost a
> decade.

Syspatch and the existence of third-party packagers like
m:tier have made it much less painful. Meanwhile, other
OS's, eg. Systemd/Linux, have become much more painful
(I say this after 20 years of Linux use).

John