On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 10:59:21AM -0400, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 4:26 AM Stuart Henderson <s...@spacehopper.org> wrote:
> >
> > On 2020-03-18, Jeffrey Walton <noloa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > According to https://man.openbsd.org/NetBSD-8.1/security.7#FORTIFY_SOURCE
> > > OpenBSD implements glibc bounds checking on certain functions. I am
> > > trying to detect FORTIFY_SOURCE without looking up operating system
> > > names and versions.
> >
> > That is a NetBSD manual page, it does not apply to OpenBSD.
>
> Thanks.
>
> I may be splitting hairs, but the pages title clearly says it is an
> OpenBSD man page.

I have no real connection to the OpenBSD project other than being a long
time user, and I have an interest in documentation.

It says, at the top of the page, it says "OpenBSD manual page server",
i.e. it's a manual page server hosted by the OpenBSD project.  The
link that you mention contains the string "NetBSD-8.1" and the name
of the manual that you're looking at is "security — NetBSD security
features".  Also, "NetBSD-8.1" is repeated in the page footer and the
string "NetBSD" occurs many times throughout the page while "OpenBSD"
really only occurs once.

> What is the purpose of supplying man pages for the wrong operating
> system? It wastes people's time and breaks search. This search does
> not produce expected results:
> https://www.google.com/search?q=FORTIFY_SOURCE+site%3Aopenbsd.org.
>
> If you really want to confuse folks, maybe OpenSD can supply Windows man
> pages.
>
> Jeff

It's debatable whether the manuals for systems other than OpenBSD should
be hosted at man.openbsd.org, but citing "confusion" is probably not a
reason to stop providing these.  If you want uptodate manuals for the
system that you're using, I hope that you're using the man(1) command on
the command line and taht you don't rely on the correctness of manuals
found on the web.

I don't think Windows has manuals in man or mandoc format that are free
to host.

--
Andreas (Kusalananda) Kähäri
SciLifeLab, NBIS, ICM