> On Feb 23, 2008, at 6:29 PM, Jay Hart wrote:
>
>> I use bash as my shell.
>>
>> I'm trying to set the bash prompt to display:
>>
>> ttyC1 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>
>> I've created a .bashrc in the users home directory (in this case
>> root), and
>> used the following line:
>>
>> PS1="\l [EMAIL PROTECTED] #"
>
> So, what happens when you can't log in to the system, delete the bash
> package or lose your /usr/local/ filesystem? I'd suggest not using
> that as your root login shell.

I'll have to rescue the system if I can't login as root.
If I lose my /usr/local filesystem, I've probably lost the drive too.
I guess I have to ensure that I don't delete the bash package.

>> When I login as root, or any other user for that matter, the default
>> prompt is:
>>
>> -bash-3.2#
>
> Try the system bashrc, or fire use .bash_profile.

Created .bash_profile, same behavior.

>> the only way so far that I found to change the prompt is to type
>> 'bash' at the
>> prompt after login. This is ok, but I know that this should work the
>> first
>> time I login, without having to issue a standalone command.
>
>  From the bash(1) 3.2 man page:
>
>         When  bash is invoked as an interactive login shell, or as
>         a non-interactive shell with the --login option, it  first
>         reads and executes commands from the file /etc/profile, if
>         that file exists.  After reading that file, it  looks  for
>         ~/.bash_profile,  ~/.bash_login,  and  ~/.profile, in that
>         order, and reads and executes commands from the first  one
>         that  exists  and is readable.  The --noprofile option may
>         be used when the shell is started to inhibit  this  behav-
>         ior.
>

>> I've come to the conclusion that I need to modify another file
>> within the /etc directory, but what?
>
> So, what lead to that conclusion? Probably not the man page.

I've looked at or modified every file in roots and one users home directory
without having the prompt displayed upon initial login. Once I login, and run
'bash', the prompt will be displayed as I set it. This leads me to believe
that I have an initial file to set which is being read as part of the init of
the box.

Jay