On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 04:53:35PM -0500, William Boshuck wrote:
> I have seen the following sort of remarks a couple of
> times this past week, yet I haven't seen them corrected.
> Nick Holland is such an excellent writer that, as often
> as not, you don't need to look at the sample code to
> follow his advice.  That's not relevant in this case,
> except insofar as I cannot understand why more people
> don't spend more time with the FAQ (especially those who
> offer advice).
>
> On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 12:16:18PM -0500, bofh wrote:
> >
> > In UNIX, it is always recommended not to change root's shell.  This is
> > because ...
> >
> > In free UNIX systems, it is also recommended for similar reasons ...
>
> "... though there is no good reason not to in OpenBSD."
>
> Let's save the rest of
>
>      http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq10.html#rootshell
>
> for the curious reader.
>

> (That said, I second recommendations to just use ksh.)

While technically correct, there are usually two people/release
clever enough to have their server in some remote datacenter,
upgrade over ssh, run into some package problem, uninstall them
all to reinstall... Ooops, no more login, no more su etc.

The mailinglist archives have amusing material on this :p