On Feb 23, 2008, at 7:35 PM, Jay Hart wrote:

I've looked at or modified every file in roots and one users home directory without having the prompt displayed upon initial login. Once I login, and run 'bash', the prompt will be displayed as I set it. This leads me to believe that I have an initial file to set which is being read as part of the init of
the box.

It's likely bash(1) may avoid reading roots environment. Check /etc/ profile, and read the man page on bash. It's ugly, confusing, but it may clear up your issues.

If it helps, you may need to make sure that your shell is invoked properly:

   PS1 is set and $- includes i if bash is interactive,  allowing  a
   shell script or a startup file to test this state.

I rarely (never, actually) log in as root unless the system is in single user mode. Even then, I don't use bash, sh(1) and ksh(1) work just fine. As a user, sudo(8) works better.