Jay Hart escreveu:
> I use bash as my shell.
>
> I'm trying to set the bash prompt to display:
>
> ttyC1 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> I've created a .bashrc in the users home directory (in this case root), and
> used the following line:
>
> PS1="\l [EMAIL PROTECTED] #"
>
> When I login as root, or any other user for that matter, the default prompt
is:

> -bash-3.2#
>
> the only way so far that I found to change the prompt is to type 'bash' at
the
> prompt after login. This is ok, but I know that this should work the first
> time I login, without having to issue a standalone command.
>
> I've come to the conclusion that I need to modify another file within the
/etc
> directory, but what?
>
> TIA,
>
> Jay

I use the following /etc/profile that will provide a prompt for various
shell's. Also set some nice variables:

export MANPAGER="/usr/bin/less"
export SVN_EDITOR="/usr/local/bin/emacs"
export PKG_PATH="ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/4.2/packages/i386/";

if [ "$SHELL" = "/bin/pdksh" ]; then
 PS1='! $ '
elif [ "$SHELL" = "/bin/ksh" ]; then
 PS1='[EMAIL PROTECTED]:\w\$ '
elif [ "$SHELL" = "/bin/zsh" ]; then
 PS1='[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%~%# '
elif [ "$SHELL" = "/bin/ash" ]; then
 PS1='$ '
else
 PS1='[EMAIL PROTECTED]:\w\$ '
fi

I've used to change the root shell to bash in the past. This isn't as
good as it sounds. I run into problems when upgrading. I prefer create a
 normal user with sudo privileges and this user having bash as shell.
This is much better.

My regards,
--
Giancarlo Razzolini
Linux User 172199

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature which had
a name of signature.asc]