On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 7:48 PM, Marco Peereboom <sl...@peereboom.us> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 07:22:08PM -0500, nixlists wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 12:22 PM, Jonathan Thornburg
>> <jth...@astro.indiana.edu> wrote:
>> > In message <http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=126356588306613&w=1>,
>> > Marco Peereboom <slash () peereboom ! us> wrote
>> >
>> > Hmm.  Our rename(2) man page currently says:
>> >
>> >   rename() guarantees that if _to_ already exists, an instance of _to_
>> >   will always exist, even if the system should crash in the middle of
>> >   the operation.
>> >
>> > Should this perhaps be changed to read something like this?
>> >
>> >   rename() tries to guarantee that if _to_ already exists, an instance
>> >   of _to_ will always exist, even if the system should crash in the
>> >   middle of the operation.  However, in some cases the hardware may
>> >   not provide the proper support, causing the guarantee to fail.
>> >
>> > Or do we (as a general policy) take this sort of escape clause taken to
>> > be implied to knowledgable readers, and thus need not be explicitly
stated?

>> It's of course implied that hardware and FFS work as they should for
>> the guarantee to work, but...
>
> Virtually all PATA & SATA disks have write back cache enabled.  Some FC,
> SCSI and SAS do too.
>
>> No one seems to want or be able to point out any particular hardware
>> that rename() (and subsequently FFS and MTAs) fail on!
>
> Virtually all PATA & SATA disks have write back cache enabled.  Some FC,
> SCSI and SAS do too.

>> When configured as documented - no controller write-back cache (maybe
>> with a battery back-up, but batteries fail too), no drive write-back
>> cache, no async mounts, no known buggy stuff.

I specifically wrote above "When configured as documented." No admin
will run a mail server with write-back cache enabled on either
controller or drives (well, maybe with a battery back-up, but I'll say
again that batteries fail too). You seem to be taking what I wrote out
of context, or you are assuming that I am a moron who doesn't know the
basics and run mail servers with write-back cache on controllers and
drives.

> Hope you now know that virtually all PATA & SATA have WB cache enabled.

Of course I know, as was stated in the previous message, but of
course, as most people, I disable it.
Don't twist what I said. If you read the previous email again, you'll
see that I say "no write-back cache.".

Please, point me to hardware that, when met all the above conditions,
is still unreliable for rename(). It would benefit thousands of people
running mail servers.

Thanks!