On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 11:14 PM, Marco Peereboom <sl...@peereboom.us> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 10:23:46PM -0500, nixlists wrote:
>> >
>> > No one disables WB cache for 2 reasons:
>>
>> Are you speaking for everybody? This is simply not true.
>>
>> > 1. They don't know how
>>
>> Unless I am missing something, this is not true... I disable it, It's
>> right in my RAID controller's config.
>
> Congratulations you disabled the write cache for the raid controller.
> Disks are often not available through the controllers config and you
> need special tools to accomplish that.  Some vendors do humor you and
> provide it.
>
>> Or, are you trying to say that the RAID controller doesn't honor what
>> I am telling it to do? A benchmark seems to tell me otherwise... Now,
>> forget RAID, what about simple SATA controllers that are built into
>> the motherboard? Simple SATA add-on cards (non-softRAID, non-RAID)? Do
>> they even have cache?
>
> It is still RAID and you lost control over your IO.  Do some math and
> figure out how many backend IOs a 1 block sized frontend IO takes.
> Repeat for RAID 5 & 6; oh and show the world how clever you are and try
> it to for a RAID 6 set that misses the ECC block and/or the parity
> block.

RAID 1 only in my case.

>> > 2. They are disappointed with the floppy disk like performance.
>> > Bonus: drive vendors tell you not to do it.
>>
>> Performance and vendors are different issues. Let's stay on the topic
>> of rename() guarantee as in the man page during a crash or powerfail,
>
> I am on topic.  Every single HDD mfg tells you to enable WB cache on
> SATA drives.

Doesn't mean people don't disable write-back cache for obvious reasons.

>> provided that the controller is configured not to write-back cache,
>> the drives are configured not to write-back cache, the FS is mounted
>> 'sync'. No softupdates. Let's not divert this to something tangential
>> and unrelated. I'll take reliability over performance.
>
> You play with RAID you lose. You play with anything other than a
> straight from OS memory to platter and you lose.  Which is about
> everything these days.

FIne then, according to you it's every single RAID controller in the
world that cannot be trusted.

Now the simplest case: a SATA controller as found on any recent
motherboard, or a SATA add-on card, and a disk with write-back cache
turned off. What are the problems there?

> No.  People understand the risks and mitigate them as much as possible
> by using technologies that make sense for their budget and requirements.
> They don't go on mailing lists asserting that generic software can do
> ungeneric things to an arbitrary piece of hardware.
>
> Another fun read is the HDD mfgs small print.  Try finding in there that
> they'll actually guarantee anything on that disk.  Good luck.

>> > All RAID controllers.  And I mean every single last one of them.
>> > Including external RAID cards too.  You have exactly zero control as to
>> > what they do.  Write/Back/Through etc they are going to sit on your data
>> > regardless of whatever the fruit you want.
>>
>> I am not sure what you are saying here. Are you saying people disable
>> WB cache on controllers and disks (I know I do, and I know many others
>> do), but it's still enabled? In other words, if I explicitly tell the
>> controller and disks to disable write-back cache, and I can see it
>> with benchmarks (write performance drops significantly,and the disk is
>> much busier on writes), that they still do write-back caching? What
>> about simple SATA? PATA? Granted I may not be aware of the nuances of
>> controller and disk caching, but you I am sure do, and can can explain
>> those.
>
> Well what I am saying is that you do not understand how RAID or other
> "intelligent" IO machinery works.  And I am telling you to stop making a
> fool out of yourself repeating some assertions that are incorrect.

But you still haven't answered the question asked. Again, given that
write-back cache is disabled on both the controller and the disks -
what problems are there?