On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 10:50 PM, Nick Holland
<n...@holland-consulting.net> wrote:
> nixlists wrote:
>>>
>>> No one disables WB cache for 2 reasons:
>>
>> Are you speaking for everybody? This is simply not true.
>>
>>> 1. They don't know how
>>
>> Unless I am missing something, this is not true... I disable it, It's
>> right in my RAID controller's config.
>
> you just proved Marco's point.

No I didn't.

> He was talking about the writeback on the drive, you talked about it
> on the controller.  Fine, you disabled it on the controller.  Drive is

That's not true. You are either sabotaging or haven't even read my
initial email in this thread. I specifically mentioned the common, and
the only case for mailservers that makes sense - write-back cache
turned off on both controllers and drives.

> still doing write caching.  Maybe.  You don't really know.  What do you

No, I as already mentioned also disabled it on the drives. Please
don't twist what I said around to sabotage. This is becoming
hilarious, and shows OpenBSD's users/developers psychology.

> think that 2M-16+M cache on the drive is doing?  How do you know?
>
> Nick.

As I said - I may not know the controller/disk nuances, but at least I
can run some simple benchmarks, and see how much slower the writes
become after the cache is off (just to be sure no one pretends to have
misread again - ON BOTH THE DRIVES AND THE CONTROLLER). Now it would
be nice to hear Marco's answer whether the drives and the controller,
as I already asked, continue caching or some such thing. This
information is important for mail server admins.