On Fri, 17 Sep 2004, Norayr Chilingaryan wrote:

> http://www.geocities.com/nemrout/convert.html
>
> Please, look there, and tell me what U think...
> It seems that second picture deformed and much cropped...

        It is _supposed_ to be deformed ;)

        When you play it back on a DVD/CD player the picture appear correct.

> I get it with
> lav2yuv lalala.avi  | y4mscaler -I sar=1:1 -I ilace=TOP_ONLY -O sar=PAL -O
> size=704x576 -S option=sinc:4 | mpeg2enc -f 8 -q 4 -s -o video_temp.m2v

> AsI understand it is a proper string for DVD capable mepg stream encoding

        No, you have a weird mixture of VCD and DVD options in that command.

        In this case, are you creating a VCD or a DVD?  For a DVD you do NOT
        want the "-I ilace=TOP_ONLY" option!   Basically what you have done
        with that (extra) option is throw away 1/2 of the information - that is
        why the picture appears cropped.

        For creating a DVD do not use the '-I ilace' option.

> it seems that when I try to get vcd capable mpeg1 stream with
> lav2yuv lalala.avi  | y4mscaler -I sar=1:1 -I ilace=TOP_ONLY -O sar=PAL -O
> size=352x288 -S option=sinc:4 | mpeg2enc -f 1 -s -o video_temp.m1v
>
> there is no such crop, but picture seems(?) deformed ;(

        As I mentioned earlier - that is 100% normal.  Pixels are square on
        a computer but are not square on a DVD/VCD/TV.    The picture will
        look fine on a TV or if you use 'mplayer' to play the movie.

> As far, as I understand, the best way is a second screenshot...
> But it is not correct...

        Yes, it is indeed correct.  Put the video on a disc and play it - OR
        'mplayer' will play the movie

> So, please, view screenshots and tell me, which way is best...

        If you leave out the '-I ilace' option for the DVD then both ways
        are "best".  It all depends which format you want - DVD or VCD.  For
        DVD:

lav2yuv lalala.avi  | \
    y4mscaler -I sar=1:1 sar=PAL -O size=704x576 -S option=sinc:4 | \
    mpeg2enc -f 8 -q 4 -s -o video_temp.m2v

        and for VCD:

lav2yuv lalala.avi  | \
    y4mscaler -I sar=1:1 -I ilace=TOP_ONLY -O sar=PAL -O size=352x288 -S option=sinc:4