>>Clearly, kino needs to deal with other file
>>formats, such as lossless-compressed Quicktime
>>files.
>
>Ok so need to export in quicktime to feed into
>kino really.

Oh...does kino already support Quicktime?  Do we have
a tool that'll export raw YUV video as
lossless-compressed Quicktime files?  If so, I'll
start using it ASAP!

As soon as I get mjpegtools' video quality up to
my standards (and I'm getting REEEEEALLY close), I
plan for my next obsession to be bringing
open-source video editing up to snuff.  I know of
kino, lvs, cinelerra, and hvirtual, but haven't
looked too deeply into them yet.

>>I noticed you're using y4mdenoise with "-I 0",
>>to force it to deal with the video as
>>progressive frames, but the rest of the pipeline
>>(y4mscaler, y4munsharp, y4mtoppm, etc.) is
>>presumably dealing with interlaced video.
>
>mmm I thought it was detecting it automatically
>from input...

If the input is already progressive, then you
don't need to pass "-I 0" to y4mdenoise.  And if
the input is interlaced, you're better off
treating it as progressive until such time (if
any) that something expects it to be interlaced
(like mpeg2enc).

Also, consider playing with the -z and -t
parameters to y4mdenoise -- a small change can
make a big difference.  (Although the default
parameters, intended for VHS video, might be
just fine with old home-movie film.)

>>>Don't forget that I denoise 1300*1100 ~ish
>>>frames before bringing them down to DV size.
>>
>>That's fine, but remember, mpeg2enc's motion
>>detection requires numerical equality.
>
>What do you mean by numerical equality ?

As you know, the pixels are represented on a
computer by numbers.  For mpeg2enc to detect that
a group of pixels in the current frame is the same
as a group of pixels in a previous frame, the
pixel values must be equal to each other -- they
can't just "look close enough".  y4mdenoise will
make them equal.  I'm not sure about yuvdenoise.

>>using y4mdenoise with very low settings, e.g.
>>"y4mdenoise -z 1 -t 1", with your high-quality
>>input, may work wonders.
>
>Just wondering then if it is necessary to do it
>twice.  I thought that denoising the big frames
>before scaling down will give a better result....

Yes, it will, but the first y4mdenoise is to
denoise your video, and the second y4mdenoise
(with very low settings) is to optimize your video
stream so that mpeg2enc will have a better chance
of detecting motion.  The low settings will ensure
that no human-perceptible changes in the video
will happen, but mpeg2enc will see the difference
& your compression efficiency will improve.  But it
needs to happen right before mpeg2enc or the effect
will probably be lost.

>Will give it a go this weekend !!

Great!  Let us all know how it goes!

I've been obsessing over video quality for about 2
1/2 years now, so any sort of description you can
give of the remaining artifacts in your video may
trigger something in my experience.  So feel free
to share.

BTW, it's occurring to me that you're scanning in
your 8mm/16mm home videos at over a megapixel per
frame.  How are you doing that?  My family has a
bunch of old 8mm film of family events from
decades ago, and we've been meaning to give them
the pro treatment.  What are you using to scan in
the frames of your film?

Steven Boswell
ulatekh at yahoo dot com