On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Steven Boswell II wrote:

As soon as I get mjpegtools' video quality up to
my standards (and I'm getting REEEEEALLY close), I
plan for my next obsession to be bringing
open-source video editing up to snuff.  I know of
kino, lvs, cinelerra, and hvirtual, but haven't
looked too deeply into them yet.

I'm also developing an obsession for open source video processing. I develop scripts (and graphical wizards to control/run them, for unexprienced/lazy users) that push the limits of the current state of Linux video processing tools. For example, I created a video-stitching utility that creates a DV video from a set of smaller DV video files with various transition effects for both audio and video. It has an automatic mode that chooses random transition effects so the user only needs to hit the 'Run' button. It's much like the popular Pinnacle Studio video editor for Windows. I'm also working on a wizard to produce MPEG2 files from DV, which asks the user to choose a 'profile' for the DV video, like 'Consumer DV Camcorder' or 'Digitized VHS'. Each profile builds a custom rendering chain of SMIL Utils and MJPEG Tools applications that aims to optimize each type of video material before feeding it to mpeg2enc. I hope this tool will make creating high quality MPEG2 a lot easier for a lot of Linux users.

I tried to contact the author of the SMIL Utils to ask about development and features that could improve the capabilities of video processing scripts, but I did not receive a response. Do you plan to take a look at the SMIL utils as well? I'm very interested in what you're planning to do.

Cheers,

Dik