> No manual descriptions, on basically any item. And that will remain so for
> the (near) future. Automatic descriptions can change that, literally over
> night, with a little programming and linguistic effort. ... This is a
> "force multiplier" of volunteer effort with a factor of 250. And we ignore
> that ... why, exactly?

Not ignoring. In fact, if the auto-generated descriptions near the quality
of human curated descriptions, I'm totally and wholeheartedly onboard that
their use should be strongly considered.

I just disagree that closing the quality gap will involve "little
programming and linguistic effort." I lean more toward "massive programming
and linguistic effort" end of the spectrum.

Specifically, I think it will take massive effort to make the
auto-generated descriptions so good that an average person would say, "hey
these auto generated descriptions are better than the human curated
descriptions" in the examples I posted.

But I may, of course, be wrong!