> My guess would be that the speed difference stems from the Sizzle
> strategy of searching inside-out from the expression. I.e. using the
> last part of the query first, and then filtering that set using the
> previous parts. Perhaps other libraries search outside-in?

Possibly - it definitely depends on the test page. It tends to fare poorly
on this particular test page but since it's the de facto standard, not much
we can do :-/

> In the case of "ul .tocline2" the approach taken by Sizzle seems to
> fare especially poorly (compared to the others). Of course, this issue
> would only affect cases where we are using parent-child relations.

Well, I'd be more interested in watching cases like "div p" since that's two
pure tag searches and would expose performance flaws in depth selectors
pretty quickly. "ui .tocline2" is probably especially slow due to the fact
that all class selectors are slow in IE 6, right now.

--John