At 19:09 -0500 1999-10-12, Matt Arnold wrote:
> While
>art/layout issues are certainly subjective, I actually saw it as the area of
>least controversy, and that's why I tried to slip it through.  :-)

Ha! Not likely. We've all sat through meetings where people agonized over
colors and passed over backend issues in silence.

>Jesse Kanner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> sez:
>> Will you have any comps of the second level pages? Which information would
>> go where?

Second and even third level architecture is very important. It's
seductively easy to focus on the front page.

> And I don't want to bemoan the
>lack of any content which I'm not willing to create.  :-)

Why not? I think for a site like this, it would be fine to make a good
master plan and put an incomplete site. Volunteers should hopefully arise
to patch up the holes, or the site maintainers can actively needle the
community about stuff that needs to be written.

>Robin Berjon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> sez:
>> As a side note, reading about that desert idea this morning triggered a
>> neuron somehow, so I quickly modified an old template of mine that hadn't
>> been used and uploaded it at http://www.knowscape.org/modperl/ ...

I liked this a lot! The eagle theme is great, although the association
between that particular engraving and mod_perl may be a trademark of
O'Reilly (caveat: IANAL).

>  I see people
>turning away from salvation only because we failed to offer an adequate
>invitation.  We must act now, lest we lose yet another soul to an expensive,
>proprietary, inferior product.

I don't care about other "souls" per se. I'd like a site that was useful to
*me*. Selfish? Yes! Paradoxically, I think you'll find a site which
energizes and serves the existing community will ultimately attract more
people that one which flails about trying to impress newcomers with
Microsoft-like spec sheets.

mod_perl would come into more disrepute if we made a site that was weak on
content. This doesn't mean we have to come up with a surpassingly wonderful
site all at once, we should just design a process that attracts the best
content, is easy to administer, links to the best content, allows for easy
updates, etc. etc.

--
Neil Kandalgaonkar                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Systems Architect, Stylus Inc.           http://www.stylus.ca/