> At 09:12 19/10/1999 +0200, Stas Bekman wrote:
> >> We were planning to put a good deal of the stuff into a db too I think. I
> >> guess it doesn't matter too much if we have duplicated content as long as
> >> it is in sync. We will have to take into account what you are doing so that
> >> we can cross-link whenever it makes sense.
> >
> >Of course it does matter not to have the stuff duplicated, since it's a
> >nightmare to keep 2 things in sync, but why should we doing that? I don't
> >see any reason... We wanted to do that to complement the current site, if
> >you are going to do that anyway, there is no reason, why we wouldn't put
> >our efforts to create other useful things...
>
> Sorry, I tend to shorten what I think too much to say what I really think,
> ah! if only we had lossless expression ;-) Yes of course it does matter if
> we are duplicating the information *source*. What I meant to say is that if
> the same information makes sense in two different contexts -- even very
> close context -- then it doesn't matter if it is available in both (imho).

That makes sense. But you should understand my motives for moving to
modperl.sourcegarden.org. Otherwise there was no reason not do everything
at perl.apache.org.

So, perl.apache.org is just a VH at apache.org. You have almost no ability
to add components to the system, and of course no root access. Installing
mod_perl, mysql, modules is absolutely possible technically, but in
reality it isn't, because no matter whether you have a root access or not,
the resources are limited... I guess other resources to...

With SourceGarden I've everything I want and need, thanks to Scream Design
team folks! That's why I feel much better creating for this site, and I
cannot tell myself, I don't feel like adding this feature, since it's a
headache to ask permission to do that and chances that the it would be
approved... So we (the folks behind SourceGarden) have no excuses not to
do something, so we do it...

I'm not sure whether you have thought about the described limitations as
part of your plan. But if you come up with solution that will allows us to
run mod_perl and mysql at perl.apache.org - I think we would be delighted
to have James' tool running on perl.apache.org, so you wouldn't jump
between sites...

For me as of this moment perl.apache.org is a gopher site (remember that
name?), with links for downloading docs and mod_perl. And that's not far
from truth. If we succeed to revive perl.apache.org to make it a dynamic
site, I don't see any reason to have all the functionality we wanted to
add to SourceGarden there. Our main goal is different - a greenhouse for
mod_perl sw.

That's it I think!

> >But as always, I might be wrong, so
> >it's just an idea... I'm very delighted to know that you started to work
> >on the new site and I'm in no way would try to stop or provide
> >deconstructing thoughts :)
>
> I might be wrong too, otherwise I probably wouldn't bother discussing these
> projects :-) Your thoughts are very far from deconstructive to say the
> least, and I hope mine aren't either. If they sound like they are, I've
> probably misexpressed myself.

Argh... Just wanted to keep your spirit up :)

> Matt and I are working on an outline, we probably should share what we've got.
> PS: maybe we should take this discussion to the mod-cvs list ?

The problem is that not many people are subscribed on this list and I
still beleive that more people might be interested in providing a
feedback. As long as we keep [SITE] token in the subject I think it can be
easily discarded by uninterested folks. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Stas Bekman  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]    www.singlesheaven.com/stas
Perl,CGI,Apache,Linux,Web,Java,PC at  www.singlesheaven.com/stas/TULARC
www.apache.org  & www.perl.com  == www.modperl.com  ||  perl.apache.org
single o-> + single o-+ = singlesheaven    http://www.singlesheaven.com