On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Martin A. Langhoff wrote:
> hi mod_perl gurus,
>
>     I'm currently in dire problems (read sh*t):
>
>         - In one week my Embperl powerd site debuts.
>
>         - Just now, my webmaster tells me that I can't use Embperl _nor_
> ePerl. Previously he had told me to use ePerl o whatever I wanted, now
> he's worried about security.
>
>         - He claims that he cannot allow me to run anything under
> mod_perl (and derivatives as Embperl) because mod_perl brings Apache
> down when it crashes.

Well, the extent this will happen is to 1 process. Not the whole httpd. So
1 user gets a disconnect. That's all.

>         - On the other hand, he'll allow me to use perl in CGI scripts.
>
>         - Of course that's not what I want :)  !!!
>
>         - Is there a way to configure mod_perl so that it does not crash
> apache down? Or maybe it never does and he doesn't know?

First of all, this will only happen if perl crashes. I'm yet to see perl
core dump. Maybe I'm unique in this experience. This includes running perl
on NT since it was HiP Communications Perl. So yes - if perl crashes your 1
httpd will come tumbling down. And apache will happily spawn another one
for you. I suppose it's possible that XS code will core dump - e.g.
embperl. But I've never run embperl or anything that I don't consider
stable enough to work with, so I can't comment on that. I doubt very much
you'll have some obscure XS bug that won't show up until your site goes
live - but you never know I guess.

--
<Matt/>

Details: FastNet Software Ltd - XML, Perl, Databases.
Tagline: High Performance Web Solutions
Web Sites: http://come.to/fastnet http://sergeant.org
Available for Consultancy, Contracts and Training.