I'd like to thank you all. I've been enlightened by this thread.

    Apparently mod_perl/apache _can_ be crashed, but then only the specific
httpd child process will crash. Or did I get it wrong?

    On the other hand, it _is_ possible to use a mod_perl/apache server on a
high port using mod_rewrite in such a way that it is transparent to the end
user.

    And then I 'll have to choose whether I still want to work with this
ISP, as I've had many offers that I'll be taking into consideration. Thanks
for that too.

    Hey! I love this list guys! you're wonderfully helpful !

martin
--
   - Martin Langhoff @ S C I M  Multimedia Technology -
    - http://www.scim.net      | God is real until  -