According to Oleg Bartunov:
> > > Currently I have 20 apache servers which
> > > handle 20 connections to database. If I want to work with
> > > another database I have to create another 20 connections
> > > with DB, so I will have 40 postgres backends. This is too much.
>
> I didn't write all details but of course I already have 2 servers setup.

Are you sure you need 20 concurrent backend servers?  If you have
enabled apache's 'server-status' reporting you can watch the
backend during some busy times to see how many are doing anything.
It is probably to have too few servers (the front end will wait
as long as the requests don't overflow the listen queue) than
so many that the machine starts paging virtual memory to disk.

  Les Mikesell
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]