On Mon, Nov 29, 1999 at 07:46:50PM -0500, Sam Tregar wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, Tim Bunce wrote:
>
> > Ignoring 'thread' (unsafe for production use) and 'debug' modes, the
> > normal 'fork' mode means that each client gets a seperate ProxyServer
> > process. And because of that, clients have no way to share connections
> > with each other.
>
> Is that necessarily the case?  Perhaps the parent server could handle the
> connection-pooling and hand off live connection to the forked child.
> That way you could get the best of both worlds - de-coupled clients and a
> shared pool of database connections.
>
> It seems to me that moving to a single-process architecture has some BIG
> downsides when you consider the wide variation in database query runtimes.

You're quite right, but both cases need to be allowed for as some
database (notably Oracle) get upset if a child process tries to use a
connection established by the parent process.

But mixing a connection pool with fork mode ought work for some
of the DBI drivers.

Thanks for pointing that out. Does that mean you're volunteering? :-)

Tim.