Gerald Richter wrote:

> I have seen this in the source too, that's why I wrote it will not work with
> Apache, because most pages will be greater the 8K. Patching Apache, is one
> possibility, that's right, but I just looked after the
> ProxyReceiveBufferSize which Oleg pointed to, and this one sets the socket
> options and therefore should do the same job (as far as the OS supports it).
> Look at proxy_http.c line 263 (Apache 1.3.9):
>
>         if (setsockopt(sock, SOL_SOCKET, SO_RCVBUF,
>                        (const char *) &conf->recv_buffer_size, sizeof(int))
>
> I am not an expert in socket programming, but the setsockopt man page on my
> Linux says: "The system places an absolut limit on these values", but
> doesn't says where this limit will be?

On Solaris, default seems to be 256K ...

tcp_max_buf

     Specifies the maximum buffer size a user is allowed to specify with the SO_SNDBUF
or
     SO_RCVBUF options. Attempts to use larger buffers fail with EINVAL. The default is
     256K. It is unwise to make this parameter much larger than the maximum buffer
     size your applications require, since that could allow malfunctioning or malicious
     applications to consume unreasonable amounts of kernel memory.

I needed to buffer up to 3M files, which I did by dynamically
allocating space in ap_proxy_send_fb.  I didn't know that you
could up the tcp_max_buf at the time, and would be interested
in anyone's experience in doing so, whether this can actually
be used to buffer large files.  Save me a source tweak in
the future. ;)

-- Joshua
NodeWorks >> free web link monitoring   Huntington Beach, CA  USA