> > On Solaris, default seems to be 256K ...
>
> As I remember, that's what Linux defalts to.  Don't take may word for
> it, I can't remember exactly where or when I read it - but I think it
> was in this List some time during the last couple of months!

Guide is your friend :)
http://perl.apache.org/guide/scenario.html#Building_and_Using_mod_proxy

<QUOTE>
You can control the buffering feature with ProxyReceiveBufferSize
directive:

    ProxyReceiveBufferSize 16384

The above setting will set a buffer size to be of 16Kb. If it is not set
explicitly or set to 0, then the default buffer size is used. It may not
be smaller than 512 and it should be a number that it's a multiplicative
of 512.

Both the default and the maximum possible value are depend on OS. For
example on linux OS with kernel 2.2.5 the maximum and default values are
either 32k or 64k (hint: grep the kernel sources for SK_RMEM_MAX
variable). If you set the value bigger than limit, the default one will be
used.

Under FreeBSD it's possible to configure kernel to have bigger socket
buffers:

   % sysctl -w kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=2621440

When you tell the kernel to use bigger sockets you can set bigger values
for ProxyReceiveBufferSize. i.e. 1048576 (1Mb) and bigger.

So basically to get an immediate release of the mod_perl server from stale
awaiting, ProxyReceiveBufferSize should be set to a value greater than the
biggest generated respond produced by any mod_perl script but not bigger
than the limit. But even if not all the requests' output will be small
enough or the buffer big enough to absorb it all, you've got an improve
since the processes that generated smaller responds will be immideately
released.

</QUOTE>

Stas Bekman    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://www.stason.org/stas
Perl,CGI,Apache,Linux,Web,Java,PC     http://www.stason.org/stas/TULARC
perl.apache.org    modperl.sourcegarden.org   perlmonth.com    perl.org
single o-> + single o-+ = singlesheaven    http://www.singlesheaven.com