At 11:16 1/31/00 -0800, siberian wrote:
>My question is : Has anyone experienced any 'gotchas' in putting perl code
>that modperl handlers use on a Network Attached file server like a network
>appliance box ( www.netapp.com )? I am assuming that there are no real
>issues but before i go blow a ton of cash on this thing I wanted to be
>sure that no one had found a problem.

We have been using such a setup for over 2 years now.  The only real issue
we've found is not so much with mod_perl itself, but with MySQL.  If you
put your databases on the NetApp, either have a seperate central database
server, or make damn sure you do not use the same database from two
different front-end servers.  We've seen database corruption that way
(using Linux front-end servers with NFS 2).

With the regards of the single point of failure: only thing that failed so
far was one fan, which could be replace without shutting the NetApp down.
Also make sure that you go for the deal in which you get spare parts for
just about everything, so that you can fix any hardware problems yourself
very quickly.

With regards to fsck on large file systems: we've heard one horror stories
about that as well (with Xs4all here in Amsterdam).  I recall having read
that they fixed the problem with the fsck taking very long on large
file-systems with the latest OnTap release.

Elizabeth Mattijsen

Tel: 020-6005700                Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 68-70
Fax: 020-6001825                1012 SE  AMSTERDAM

Voor ernstige technische storingen zijn we buiten kantooruren
bereikbaar: 06-29500176 of zie onze website.

Web Ontwikkeling | Web Hosting | Web Onderhoud | Web Koppeling
                 xxLINK, an Integra-Net company