On Tue, May 23, 2000 at 11:53:04AM -0700, Doug MacEachern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > a lot of data sharing between the httpd servers. My module requires you to
> > call "configured PApp" at the end of the configuration section so that it
> > can pull in most of the code and big data structures before it forks (so
> > the data gets shared). AFAIK there is no way to make this automatic.
>
> what's wrong with having 'PerlModule foo' at the bottom of your config

Nothing. It's just that users of my module constantly forget that ;)

> file?  apache 1.3 has no 'post-config' hook, 2.0 does though.

Another non-issue, then ;)

> > PerlFreshRestart On
> > PerlModule X
>
> yes, because apache does module-init/config-read twice at startup, since
> you have 'PerlFreshRestart On', your module is re-compiled on this second

BINGO, exactly. Thanks a lot for clarifying!! Here is a proposed extension
for perldoc mod_perl / RESTARTING:

 PerlFreshRestart On

Please note that setting this option results in parsing your modules
twice at server startup, and reparsing at every restart. Old code and
variables are not cleared and might interfere with your module. Avoiding
lexical variables at global scope and not referencing subs before
declaration/definition is therefore recommended.